Effective January 19, 2018
We have signed on to the K-12 School Service Provider Pledge to Safeguard Student Privacy (www.studentprivacypledge.org). We pledge to carry out responsible stewardship and appropriate use of student personal information according to the commitments below and in adherence to all laws applicable to us as school service providers.
We Commit To:
✘ Not collect, maintain, use or share student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
✘ Not sell student personal information.
✘ Not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students.
✘ Not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
✘ Not make material changes to school service provider consumer privacy policies without first providing prominent notice to the account holder(s) (i.e., the educational institution/agency, or the parent/student when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent) and allowing them choices before data is used in any manner inconsistent with terms they were initially provided; and not make material changes to other policies or practices governing the use of student personal information that are inconsistent with contractual requirements.
✘ Not knowingly retain student personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
✔ Collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student.
✔ Disclose clearly in contracts or privacy policies, including in a manner easy for parents to understand, what types of student personal information we collect, if any, and the purposes for which the information we maintain is used or shared with third parties.
✔ Support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, either by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements or directly when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent.
✔ Maintain a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of student personal information against risks – such as unauthorized access or use, or unintended or inappropriate disclosure – through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
✔ Require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information.
✔ Allow a successor entity to maintain the student personal information, in the case of our merger or acquisition by another entity, provided the successor entity is subject to these same commitments for the previously collected student personal information.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect several types of information from and about users of our Site, including the following:
- For both students and teachers: names and email. For teachers only: phone numbers, school website, country, city and town. For students only: race and sex for reporting purposes to the NSF; learning data to optimize instruction.
- Information you voluntarily provide to the Site or when you contact us for any reason.
- Analytical Site usage information collected via third-party analytics services. This data may include the Site pages you view and other similar information about your behavior on our Site.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the Site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To provide the services you requested.
- To notify you about changes to our Site or any services we offer or provide through it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Site (e.g. forum).
- To send our newsletter or other marketing communication. You can opt out by clicking on the link at the bottom of the communication.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this Policy:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Site's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
- We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Site, our customers or others.
Your web browser offers “cookies” which, if you allow their use, store small amounts of data on your computer when you visit our Site. Cookies do not contain any personal information about you and therefore cannot be used to identify you personally. However, cookies assist us in tracking which of our features you like best. Therefore, cookies enable us to customize our content according to your preferences. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying your browser settings. You can still view our Site even if you disable the cookie function on your browser. However, if you disable cookies, some advanced and customized features will not be available to you.
We are committed to respecting the sensitive nature of children's privacy online. Children under 13 years of age are not allowed to use our Site. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 and our Site is not directed to children under 13. If we learn or have reason to suspect that any Site user is under the age of 13, we will delete any personal information in that user's account or use that information only to respond directly to that child (or a parent or legal guardian) to inform him or her that he or she cannot use our Site.
Personal information you provide to us is stored on a password protected server accessible only by administrator. We adhere to the generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site because any transmission of information over the Internet has its inherent risks. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site. You are responsible for keeping your login credentials, if any, confidential.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION